Friday, April 3, 2009

LSS Starfish Challenge

My local scrapbooking store (LSS) had a starfish challenge. It was a tough one for me. I've been seeing these ribbons that people make, and thought...heck I can give it a try.

We'll it was a little tougher than I thought. I really did not know what the ratio the length of the fabric to how big I wanted the medallion to be was. So through trial and a lot of error, I figured it out. The big back medallion is made from a piece of fabric I've been keep for years (you know, that fabric you buy but you don't know what you are going to use it for). It is beautiful. Quilted silk with sequence and raw edges. It was hard to make that first cut. But I did.

I sewed the back medallion to make it round and gathered. I attached it to a round piece of chipboard that I also attached the tails of the ribbon to. Now for the starfish. I strung some sea colored beads along with a "inspire" charm on some wire and attached it to the starfish to make it look like he is holding the string of beads. I attached him to piece of chipboard that I covered with orange paper. I also gathered a cream ribbon and a green ribbon to make a smaller medallion that the starfish could sit on. I added a loop to the back so it can be hung.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I might sell it on my Etsy site. (If anyone is interested in it, let me know). I have to keep it up, away from the cats, they really really want to eat it. (I lost one starfish this way).

The size is about 7" round on the medallion and about 12" tall

And this is what it looks like...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I look forward to reading it.