Sunday, May 24, 2009

May Altered Book Club

For this months altered book club, I chose Judith's book. Her book is about fashion and costume. This one was a hard one for me, I did not want to disappoint Judith because I know she is very passionate about the subject matter. I got the idea after attending the Stamping and Scrapbooking Expo at the State Fair Grounds this weekend. There was a booth from Wisconsin there teaching and selling Iris Paper Folding stamps and templates. here's a sample. I thought I'd like to do something like that, so I gave it a try.


I drew the template (or at least something to follow). And then cut out where I wanted it to show through. I also added strips of that super sticky tape ( the red stuff), so once I place it over the paper pieces it will "seal" in the edges.



Then I traced that opening onto another piece of paper. And added all the folds that I was to follow.



Then I started to fold the pieces of paper. I used 2 widths 1 " and 1.5" both folded in half the long way to have a nice edge on the strip. I started to place the strips of paper. (I tried numbering the template to make sure they are overlapped correctly, some weren't but I figured it out).

This was the most tedious part. As you can se you need to extend your strips out beyond the edge so when you place your top page back on it will cover all the edges of your piece.

After it was all said and done, this is how it turned out:



I think all of the work made the results worth it. I wanted to keep it really simple so I did not draw in the girl, I just added the flowers to suggest where her hands would be.

I added this page to her book and made a title page that says "The Most Important Dress".

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment, I look forward to reading it.